Rutland county. First settled, 1761. Population, 1830, 1,963. Pawlet lies 21 miles S.W. from Rutland and 27 S.E. from Whitehall, N.Y. The town is watered by Pawlet river, which falls into Champlain lake at Whitehall, and by Indian river, which rises from a spring sufficiently large to carry a mill.—The latter river was formerly a great resort of the natives, who frequented it for trout and other fish with which it abounds. The territory of Pawlet is nearly divided by a range of mountains, the highest summit of which is known by the name of "Haystack." This is a pleasant town, with some manufactures. The soil is dry and warm, and produces good crops of corn and hay. It feeds about 14,000 sheep.