Washington county. This town lies 10 miles S.S.W. from Montpelier and 35 E. from Burlington. Population in 1830, 1,412. First settled, 1785. The principal stream in this town is Dog river, which runs through it in a northerly direction, and affords a great number of valuable mill privileges. The surface is uneven, but the soil is generally good and easily cultivated. In the centre of the town is a neat, pleasant and flourishing village, containing a number of saw mills and other mechanical operations by water.