North Hero, Vermont
Chief town, Grand Isle county. This town was granted to Ethan Allen and others in 1779, and the settlement commenced in 1783. The British constructed a block house here, at a place called Dutchman's Point, which was garrisoned and not given up till 1796. The soil of the township is of an excellent quality, and produces grain of all kinds in abundance. The county buildings are well situated, and the scenery about the village is very pleasant. It lies 57 miles N.W. from Montpelier, and 28 N.N.W. from Burlington. Population, 1830, 638.