Franklin county. This town lies in a mountainous country, but it has a valuable tract of land on Trout river, a good mill stream, a branch of the Missisque. It lies 42 miles N. from Montpelier and 27 E.N.E. from St. Albans. First settled in 1793. Population, 1830, 460.
The Rev. Joel Clapp was the first child born in this town, September 14, 1793. He preached the first fast-day sermon, the first thanksgiving sermon, and the first mother's funeral sermon, which were preached in the town.