Windham county. This town was first permanently settled in 1760. It lies 125 miles S. from Montpelier, 15 S. by E. from Newfane and 30 E. from Bennington. Population, 1830, 1,760. The people of this town took an active part in defending the rights of Vermont against the claims of jurisdiction set up by the state of New York, about the years 1783-4. Guilford produced a number of patriots in this as also in the revolutionary cause. The soil of the town is warm and fertile, exceedingly productive of grain, fruits, maple sugar, butter, cheese, pork, sheep, horses, and beef cattle. It has good mill seats on Green river and branches of Broad brook, a number of manufactories, a medicinal spring, and various kinds of minerals.