Grand Isle, Vermont
Grand Isle county. This town is bounded on all sides by Lake Champlain except on the S., where it is bounded by South Hero, from which it was taken in 1809. It lies 50 miles N.W. from Montpelier and 18 N. by W. from Burlington.—First settled, 1783. Population, 1830, 643. The soil of the town is very fertile; it produces fine crops of grain and an abundance of fruit and cider. Marble, lime-stone, rock crystals, &c., are found here, and Grand Isle contains the only water mill in the county. This is a fine place for fishing and fowling.