Ferrisburgh [Ferrisburg], Vermont
Addison county. This township possesses a good soil, an excellent water power by Otter, Little Otter, and Lewis creeks; and navigable privileges on the waters of the outlets of those creeks and lake Champlain. Basin Harbor in this town is deep and well protected from winds, and is a place of considerable navigation and commercial importance. Across the lake to Essex, N.Y., is about two miles. Large crops of grain are produced here, and Ferrisburgh is noted for its fine butter, cheese, pork, and fat cattle. There are some woolen and other manufactures on its streams, and about 10,000 sheep graze in its pastures. Large quantites of fish are annually taken in the season of spring. First settled, 1784. Population, 1830, 1,822. Ferrisburgh lies 19 miles S. from Burlington, 16 N.W. from Middlebury, and 34 W. from Montpelier.