Franklin county. This town was first settled in 1789. It is well watered by Smithfield pond, Fairfield river, Black creek, and branches of Missisque river, and abounds in mill sites. Fairfield has a good strong soil and is generally suitable for cultivation. It is a pleasant place, with some trade and considerable manufactures. It produces good beef cattle and horses, and pastures about 7,000 sheep. Population, 1830, 2,270. Fairfield lies 45 miles N.W. from Montpelier, 27 N.N.E. from Burlington, and is bounded W. by St. Albans.