Essex County, Vermont
Guildhall is the county town. This county is bounded N. by Lower Canada, W. by the counties of Orleans and Caledonia, and S. and E. by Connecticut river. Area 680 square miles. This is considered the poorest county in the state; but although much of the land is hilly and mountainous, there is considerable good soil, and a large portion of it is well adapted for grazing. There were, in 1836, about 8,000 sheep in the county, and a considerable number of beef cattle and horses were sent to market. The principal streams are the Nulhegan, which is exclusively in Essex county;—the Passumpsic, Moose and Clyde. Incorporated 1792. Population, 1820, 3,334; 1830, 3,981. About 6 inhabitants to a square mile.