Addison county. This is a level township of excellent land, watered by Otter creek and Lemonfair river, but without any good mill sites. Notwithstanding there is a very large swamp in this town, the people are healthy, and many live to a very great age. Very beautiful calcareous spar, in rhomboid crystals, is found here. The population of Cornwall in 1830 was 1,264. The number of sheep, in 1837, was about 16,000. It lies 60 miles S.W. from Montpelier, and bounded N.E. by Middlebury. First settled, 1774.