Chittenden county, is pleasantly situated at the head of a bay on the E. side of lake Champlain, 36 miles N.W. from Montpelier, and 6 N. from Burlington. This town is well watered by Onion river, and some smaller streams. Colchester has some good and some poor land, some trade on the lake, and about 4,000 sheep. First settled by Gen. Ira Allen in 1774. Population, 1830, 1,489.