Windsor county. There are two flourishing villages in Cavendish, Dutton's village and Proctorsville. It is watered by Black river and Twenty Mile Stream, which afford a good hydraulic power. Here are in operation 4 large woolen factories, iron works, manufactures of tin, and many other branches of mechanics. Along the streams the soil is excellent; the high land is good, but best adapted to grazing. Here are about 6,000 sheep. The channel of Black river, at the falls, has been worn down 100 feet. The effects of the water at this place are very curious. Hawk's mountain separated this town from Baltimore. Cavendish, in common with most of the towns in Vermont, presents a great variety of mountain scenery. It lies 10 miles S.W. from Windsor, and 60 S. from Montpelier. First settled, 1769. Population, 1830, 1,498.