Addison county. Bridport was first settled in 1768, and organized as a town in 1785. It is bounded on the W. by lake Champlain, and is opposite to Crown Point in the state of New York. It is 12 miles W. by S. from Middlebury, 37 S. from Burlington, and 45 S.W. from Montpelier. Population, 1830, 1,774. The surface is nearly level, with a loamy soil and sandstone. The water is bad to the taste, and contains Epsom salts. It has a harbor on the lake, and the business of the town is considerable. Across the lake to Crown Point is about 2 miles. A visit to the ruins of this ancient fortress, so renowned in the annals of the revolutionary war, and elevated 47 feet above the level of the lake, is a great treat to the contemplative traveller, or the lover of splendid scenery. From these warlike ruins to those of Ticonderoga, is 15 miles S.