This is a flourishing town in Rutland county, 40 miles S.W. from Montpelier, 16 N. by W. from Rutland, and 16 S. from Middlebury. It was first settled in 1775, and organized in 1784. Population, 1830, 1,940. Brandon is finely watered by Otter creek, Mill river, and Spring pond; on which streams are good mill seats. Some of the land is level with rather a light soil, but that on Otter creek is the best alluvial. Bog iron ore, of an excellent quality, is found here; copperas and marble are also found. There are two curious caverns in this town. The largest contains two apartments, each from 16 to 20 feet square. It is entered by descending from the surface about 20 feet. They are formed in limestone.
Brandon today is home to the Basin Bluegrass Festival.