Windham county. This town lies 14 miles N. from Newfane, 98 S. from Montpelier, 10 W. from Bellows Falls, and about 40 N.E. from Bennington. Population, 1830, 415. This town was first settled in 1780 by people from Rindge, N.H., and Winchendon, Mass. They encountered great hardships. "The snow was four feet deep when they came into town, and they had to beat their own path for 8 miles through the woods. A small yoke of oxen were the only domestic animals that they took with them." This is a good township of land, particularly for grazing. It has 2000 sheep. Here are productive orchards, pine timber, and a small mill stream.