Bennington county. This town was first settled in 1763. The time of its organization is not known, as one Bisco, a tory, the town clerk in 1777, destroyed the records. It is finely watered by Green river, Mill and Warm brooks, and Roaring branch which fall into the Battenkill, at the north part of the town. These streams afford excellent mill sites, and on their banks are large bodies of superior meadow land. West and Red mountains extend through the west part of the town and supply a great variety of good timber. Excellent marble is found here;—considerable quantities of which are wrought and transported. Here is a medicinal spring, and a cavern of large dimensions. The spring is not of much note, but the cavern is a great curiosity. This is a flourishing town in both its agricultural and manufacturing pursuits. The number of sheep in this town in 1836 was 10,077. It lies 15 miles N. from Bennington, 106 S.W. from Montpelier, and 40 N.E. from Troy, N.Y. Population, 1830, 1,207.