Windsor county. Emigrants from Enfield, Ct., first made a permanent settlement in this town in 1776. It was organized, as a town, in 1781. It is a mountainous township. Markhum and Terrible mountains lie in the western part. The land is uneven, the soil is hard, and the town possesses but few water privileges. Population, 1830, 975. It lies 20 miles S.W. from Windsor, 37 N.E. from Bennington, and 68 S. from Montpelier. The number of sheep in this town is about 4,500.