Addison County, Vermont
Middlebury is the chief town. This county is bounded on the N. by Chittenden county; E. by Washington and Orange counties, and a part of Windsor county; S. by Rutland county; and W. by Lake Champlain. It was incorporated in 1787, and contains about 700 square miles. Large quantities of white and beautifully variegated marble, which receives a fine polish, is found in this county, and large quantities of it are quarried and transported to various markets.—This county is admirably well watered by Otter Creek, which rises near its southern boundary, and extends nearly through its centre;—by Mad and White rivers; and by Lake Champlain, which affords it many navigable privileges. The soil is good, particularly in those towns below the mountains, and bordering the lake and rivers. This county contains 22 towns. Population, 1820, 20,469—1830, 24,940. Inhabitants to a square mile, 35.