West Greenwich, Rhode Island
Kent county. This town was taken from East Greenwich in 1741, by which it is bounded on the east. It lies 18 miles S.W. from Providence. Population, 1830, 1,818. This town possesses a primitive geological character, and its surface presents a diversity of hills and valleys. Hopkin's Hill affords an agreeable view of the surrounding country. The waters of the town consist of the south branch of the Pawtuxet, which rises here; and of the upper branches of Wood river, which pass through it. There are some manufactures in the town, but the people are generally engaged in agricultural pursuits.