Richmond, Rhode Island
Washington county. Richmond is bounded on the west by Wood river and on the east by the river Charles. Other streams water the town, which, with the Wood and Charles give it an excellent water power. Manufacturing establishments of various kinds flourish on its streams, particularly those of cotton. The soil is a gravelly loam, with an uneven surface. The agricultural productions of the town are very considerable.
This is an excellent township for grazing; a large amount of wool and of the productions of the dairy is annually transported. Richmond was incorporated in 1742. It lies 30 miles S.S.W. from Providence, and is bounded E. by South Kingston. The Providence and Stonington rail-road passes through the S.E. corner of the town. Population, in 1830, 1,363.