Gloucester [Glocester], Rhode Island
Providence county. This large and respectable manufacturing town lies 16 miles W.S.W. from Providence and 50 E. by N. from Hartford. First settled, 1700. Incorporated, 1730. The surface of the town is somewhat broken by hills, but the soil is well adapted to agricultural purposes, particularly to grazing. Gloucester furnishes large supplies of various products for market. There are fine forests in several parts of the town, and large quantities of ship and other timber are conveyed to Providence and other places. The Chepachet and some smaller streams give Gloucester a good water power. Manufacturing establishments are very numerous, and Gloucester yields to but few towns in New England in the value of this branch of industry, particularly in the manufacture of cotton. Population, 1830, 2,522.