East Greenwich, Rhode Island
Shire town of Kent county. This town was incorporated in 1677 and is pleasantly located on Narraganset bay, 13 miles S. from Providence, and comprises an excellent harbor for ships of 500 tons burthen. A number of vessels are owned here, and the coasting trade and fisheries give employment to many of the inhabitants. The town is watered by Maskachug and Hunt's rivers, on which are cotton mills and other manufactories. The soil of the town is rather rough and stony, but it yields good crops of corn, barley and potatoes. East Greenwich is noted for excellent fruit and cider.
The "Kentish Guards" was established here in 1774, and proved a nursery of distinguished officers, of which the celebrated General Nathaniel Greene was one. Across the bay to Bristol is about 8 miles. Population, 1830, 1,591.