Coventry, Rhode Island
Kent county. This is a very large township, extending to the north line of Connecticut, and admirably watered by numerous ponds and by Flat river, an important branch of the Pawtucket. Coventry has long been noted for the number and variety of its manufactures, particularly of cotton and wool. The soil of the town is well adapted to agricultural pursuits: it is well improved, and a large amount of the products of the dairy, &c., is annually produced. There are a number of pleasant villages in Coventry, all of which are flourishing, both in manufacturing and trade. This town was distinguished for its patriotism during the revolutionary contest. Coventry was incorporated in 1742. It lies 10 miles S.W. from Providence and 8 N.W. from East Greenwich. Population, 1830, 3,851.