Burrilville [Burrillville], Rhode Island
Providence county. This town was taken from Gloucester in 1806. It is finely watered by Branch river, with many branches; one branch of which rises in Allum pond, partly in this town and partly in Douglas, Mass. This river is an important tributary to the Blackstone. Manufacturing villages are scattered over this large town in almost every direction, and a vast amount of manufactures of various kinds is annually produced. The face of the town is rough, but the soil is adapted to grazing, and produces large quantities of beef, pork, butter, cheese, &c. Herring and Eddy's ponds are pleasant sheets of water. Burrilville lies 24 miles N.W. from Providence and 27 S. by E. from Worcester. Population, 1830, 2,196.