Barrington, Rhode Island
Bristol county. This small town, of about 8 square miles, originally belonged to Massachusetts. It was attached to Rhode Island in 1746, and incorporated in 1771. It is bounded southerly by Narraganset bay, and is well watered by Palmer's river, and by an inlet of Warren river, over which is a bridge. The soil of the town is of a fertile, sandy loam, and quite productive. Large quantities of sea-weed are collected on its shores. A large tract of Barrington, called "the cove," now covered with water to a considerable depth, is supposed to have once been a forest, as timber and fuel are obtained from its bottom. Some salt is made in this town, and shell and other fish are abundant. Barrington lies 8 miles E.S.E. from Providence and about 7 miles N. by W. from Bristol. Population, 1830, 612.