Williams Rivers, New England
Williams' river, in Vermont, is formed in Chester by the union of three considerable branches, which originate in small streams in the townships of Ludlow, Andover, Windham, and Grafton. These three branches unite about a mile and a half to the southeast of the two villages in Chester, and their united waters, after running 15 miles in a southeasterly direction, fall into Connecticut river in Rockingham, three miles above Bellows' Falls. Along this stream is some fine intervale, and it affords several good mill privileges. Williams' river derives its name from the celebrated Rev. John Williams, who was taken by the Indians at Deerfield, Mass., in 1704, and who, at the mouth of this stream, preached a sermon to his fellow captives.