Whitefield, New Hampshire
Coos county. This is an irregular township, lying S. from Lancaster, W. from Jefferson, N. from Carroll and Bethlehem, and E. from Dalton. It is 120 miles N. from Concord. Its soil is generally thin and light, of easy cultivation and tolerably good; though in the N. part low spruce swamps abound. In this town lie part of Blake's, Long, Round, and Little river ponds, beside two other small ponds. The second of these is a beautiful pond of considerable size, abounding with fish. John's river passes through this town. Whitfield was granted July 4, 1774, to Josiah Moody and others, and soon after settled by Maj. Burns and others. Population, 1830, 685.