Wentworth, New Hampshire
Grafton county. This town is bounded N. by Warren, E. by Rumney, S. by Dorchester, and W. by Orford. It is 15 miles N.W. from Plymouth, and 52 N.N.W. from Concord. This town is watered by Baker's river, on which is a fall of 18 or 20 feet, affording an excellent privilege for all kinds of water machinery. The South branch of Baker's river passes through the southerly part of this town and joins the main branch near Rumney line. There are but few ponds. Baker's, situated on Orford line, is the most considerable; the outlet of which is called Pond brook, and affords water sufficient for several valuable mill seats. In the east part of the town, lies part of Carr's mountain, covered in its natural state with a heavy growth of forest trees. A part of the elevation called Mount Cuba lies in the W. part of Wentworth. This mountain contains inexhaustible quantities of the best limestone, of which a constant supply of good lime is made, and sold at a low price. Iron ore is found in various parts. The soil is generally good; the lands in the vicinity of the rivers are of the first quality. Wentworth was granted in 1766. It received its name from Governor Benning Wentworth.—The first settlement commenced a few years before the revolutionary war. Articles of subsistence, potatoes and seeds for the propagation of vegetables, were transported thither from the lower part of the state on pack horses, hand sleighs, and in knapsacks. Population, in 1830, 624.