Warner, New Hampshire
Merrimack county. This town is bound N. by Sutton and Salisbury, E. by Boscawen, S. by Hopkinton and Henniker, and W. by Bradford. The distance of Warner from Hopkinton is 8 miles, and from Concord, 15. It is watered by Warner river, a handsome stream, which rises in the Sunapee mountain in Newbury. It passes through Bradford, enters Warner at the N.W. corner, and running in an E. and S.E. direction, divides the town into two nearly equal parts, and falls into Contoocook river in Hopkinton. The lands, though broken, have, in general a good soil. Mink hills lie in the W. part, and furnish fine orchards and good pasturage. There are four ponds, viz.: Tom, Bear, Bagley, and Pleasant ponds. Pleasant pond, the waters of which are clear and cold, deep, and of a greenish cast, has no visible outlet or inlet, and overflows its banks in the driest seasons.
This town was granted in 1735, by the general court of Massachusetts, to the Dea. Thomas Stevens and others. It was incorporated in 1774 by the name of Warner. The first settlement was made in 1762, by David Annis and his son-in-law, Reuben Kimball, whose son David was the first child born in town. Population, 1830, 2,221.