Walpole, New Hampshire
Cheshire county. This place lies 60 miles S.W. by W. from Concord, 13 N.W. from Keene, and 90 N.W. from Boston. Population in 1830, 1,979. The face of this town is beautifully diversified by hills and vales. The soil is similar to that of other towns on Connecticut river. The intervales afford excellent tilage; the uplands are inferior to none in the state. Cold river passes through the north part, and forms a junction with the Connecticut. There is a lofty hill, called Fall Mountain, a part of the range of Mount Toby; the highest parts of which are about 750 feet above the level of the river. The village of Walpole is situated at the foot of this hill, on a plain; the margin of the intervales. The principal street runs N. and S. and is bordered on both sides with dwelling houses, stores, and shops.
Drewsville, in this town, is a pleasant village, romantically situated near the falls; it is a place of some trade, and considerable manufactures.
Bellows Falls, on Connecticut river, separates this town from Rockingham, Vt. At the bridge, which crosses the river at this place, built in 1785, and 365 feet in length, the traveller is presented with a most interesting and sublime view. The river here is compressed into a narrow strait between steep rocks, and for nearly a quarter of a mile is hurried on with great rapidity and loud roaring. In no place is the fall perpendicular, to any considerable extent; but in the distance of half a mile the waters descend 42 feet. A canal, with 9 locks, passes round these falls on the west side.
Col. Benjamin Bellows was one of the first settlers of this town, in 1749. He was a man of great enterprise and bravery. His descendants are numerous and highly respectable.
Bellows' Falls village is in Rockingham, Vt., opposite to Drewsville.