Wakefield, New Hampshire
Lovewell's pond, in the S. part of the town, is about 700 rods long, 275 wide. Province pond lies between Wakefield and Effingham, and is 450 rods long, 400 wide. Pine river pond is the source of the river of that name flowing N.W. into Ossipee lake. The principal branch of the Piscataqua has its rise in East pond, between Wakefield and Newfield, Maine. The soil of this town is generally good.
The town was formerly called East-town, and was incorporated in 1774 by its present name.
There are several cotton mills in this town, and various other manufactures.
Lovewell's pond, in this town, derived its name from Captain John Lovewell of Dunstable, who, on the 20th February, 1725, surprised and destroyed a party of Indians encamped on the side of the pond. Robert Macklin, distinguished for longevity, died here in 1787, at the age of 115. He was born in Scotland. Population, 1830, 1,470.