Thornton, New Hampshire
Grafton county, is bounded N. by Peeling and Lincoln, E. by ungranted land, S. by Campton, and W. by Ellsworth and Peeling. It is 12 miles N. from Plymouth and 58 N. by W. from Concord. It is watered by Pemigewasset river, passing through the town from N. to S., by Mad river at the S.E. extremity, and by several small brooks. On Mill brook, there is a cascade, at which the water falls 7 feet in 2 rods, and then falls over a rock 42 feet perpendicular. The intervales on the Pemigewasset are productive. There are many elevations, but none distinguished for a remarkable height. Thornton was granted in 1763. It was first settled in 1770. Thornton was incorporated in 1781. Population, 1830, 1,049.