Temple, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county. Temple is 12 miles W. by S. from Amherst and 40 S.S.W. from Concord. The several streams which empty into Souhegan river at Wilton, rise among the mountainous tracts on the W., and generally from sources within the limits of Temple. This town is of considerable elevation. The prospect towards the E. and S. is very extensive, and presents a rich and diversified scenery. From the highest point of elevation, in a clear atmosphere, about 20 meeting houses can be seen by the naked eye. The surface is uneven and pleasant. The soil is tolerably good. Temple is the easterly part of what was called Peterborough Slip. It was incorporated in 1768. Population, in 1830, 641.