Orford, New Hampshire
Grafton county. It lies on Connecticut river, over which is a bridge connecting with Fairlee. Orford is 11 miles below Haverhill, 17 N. of Hanover, and 64 N.W. from Concord. The soil is generally of a fertile character. The large intervale farms, watered by the Connecticut, are particularly distinguished for their beauty and fertility. There are two considerable elevations, called Mount Cuba and Mount Sunday, lying near the centre of the town. There are four or five ponds of considerable size, one of which, called Baker's upper pond, lies within 3 or 4 miles of Connecticut river. This pond discharges its waters into another pond, lying partly in Wentworth, and the waters of both empty into Baker's river. Indian pond lies about 1 mile west from Baker's upper pond. Limestone is found in great abundance. It is of the primitive kind, coarse grained, and forms a strong and hard cement. It is found at the foot of a mountain, about 400 or 500 feet above Connecticut river. Soap stone is also found here in great abundance. A light grey granite rock, much used for mill stones and for building, is found in varous places. Galena, or lead ore, of a very fine texture, containing needles of crystallized quartz, or lead, has been found, in considerable quantities in sinking a well. Orford contains a pleasant village situated on the main road. "It is built on a beautiful plain bordered with intervale on the W. The hills on both sides of the river, near the centre of the expansion, approach each other so as to form a kind of neck; and with a similar approximation at the two ends give the whole the appearance of a double amphitheater, or of the numerical figure 8. The greatest breadth of each division is about 1 1/2 miles; and the length of each between 2 and 3 miles." The buildings stand principally on a single street, of 2 or 3 miles in extent. Orford was granted Sept. 25, 1761. In June, 1765, a Mr. Cross with his family, from Lebanon, first settled in this town. A congregational church was gathered Aug. 27, 1770. Rev. Oliver Noble was ordained Nov. 5, 1771. Population, 1830, 1,829.