Northumberland, New Hampshire
In Coos county, on Connecticut river, is about 130 miles N. from Concord and 7 N.E. from Lancaster. The soil along the Connecticut is very productive, perfectly free from stone and gravel, and originally covered with a growth of butternut. A portion of the upland is also good, and covered with pine, spruce, fir, ash, maple, &c. Cape Horn, an abrupt mountain of 1,000 feet in height, lies near the centre of the town. Its north base is separated from the Connecticut by a narrow plain, and the upper Amonoosuck passes near its east base, as it falls into the Connecticut. Here the meadows are extensive, and are annually covered by the spring floods, presenting the appearance of an inland sea. At the falls in the Connecticut, below the mouth of the Amonoosuck, a handsome bridge connects Northumberland with Guildhall, in Vermont. A dam is also thrown across the river at this place, at both ends of which are pleasant villages and mills of various kinds are erected. Northumberland was incorporated in 1779. First settled, 1767. Population, 1830, 352.
Near the river a small fort was erected during the revolutionary war, and placed in the command of Capt. Jeremiah Eames, afterwards well known for his usefulness, wit and pleasantry.