Newport, New Hampshire
Shire town, Sullivan county. Its central situation and its water power, together with the enterprising spirit of its inhabitants, has rendered Newport a place of considerable business. It is 40 miles W. by N. from Concord, about 35 N. from Keene, and 14 E.S.E. from Windsor, Vt. Near the centre of the town, and the confluence of the E. and S. branches of Sugar river and the Croydon turnpike, is a handsome village. In general the soil is rich and productive. Sugar river flows through this town, and its three branches unite near the village, whence it passes through Claremont into the Connecticut. On the eastern branch are situated, principally near the village, large and valuable manufacturing establishments.—There are other mills in different parts of the town. There are a few eminences, designated Bald, Coit, and East mountains, and Blueberry hill. Newport was granted by charter in 1761. The first effort towards a settlement was made in the fall of 1763. The first settlers were principally from Killingworth, Ct. This town is noted for its good schools and its various charitable societies. Population, 1830, 1,913.