New Ipswich, New Hampshire
Hillsborough county. This town is 50 miles S.S.W. from Concord, 70 W.S.W. from Portsmouth, and 50 N.W. by W. from Boston. The town is watered by many rivulets, but principally by the Souhegan river, which is formed by the junction of two streams; the W. issuing from a small pond on the Pasture mountain, so called; the S. from two ponds in Ashburnham, Mass., near the base of Watatick hill. Over this river is a stone bridge, built in 1817. It is 156 feet long, 22 feet wide and 42 feet high, resting on a single arch of split stone; cost, $3,500. The first cotton factory in the state was built in this town, in 1803. There are now 4 cotton factories, and in other respects New Ipswich has become an important manufacturing town.—Pratt's and Hoar's ponds contain about 50 acres each. Here is fine pasture land, and under cultivation, Indian corn, rye, oats, barley, potatoes, beans, turnips, &c., are produced in abundance.
The New Ipswich academy was incorporated June 18, 1789. Its funds are large.
The principal village is in the centre of the town, in a pleasant and fertile valley. Many of the dwelling-houses are of brick and are elegant in appearance.
New Ipswich was first settled prior to 1749, and was incorporated by charter, Sept. 9, 1762.
The first minister was the Rev. Stephen Farrar, a native of Lincoln, Mass., where he was born Oct. 22, 1738. He was ordained Oct. 22, 1760; died June 23, 1809, aged 71.
New Ipswich has produced many who have become eminent as patriots, merchants, and men of science. Population, 1830, 1,673.