New Castle, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, is a rough and rocky island, situated in Portsmouth harbor, and formerly called Great Island. A handsome bridge, built in 1821, connects this town with Portsmouth. Here is an ancient church. Rev. Samuel Moody preached here previous to the commencement of the 18th century. New Castle was incorporated in 1693, and contains 458 acres. This island was the seat of business, when ancient Strawberry Bank was the mere germ of the town of Portsmouth. Fishing is here pursued with success, and the soil among the rocks, being of good quality, is made to produce abundantly. Fort Constitution and the light-house stand on this island.—Population, 1830, 850.