Meredith, New Hampshire
Strafford county, is bounded N. by Centre Harbor and Winnepisiogee lake, N.E. and E. by said lake and river, S.E. by Great bay, S. and S.W. by Sanbornton, W. and N.W. by New Hampton and Centre Harbor. This town was incorporated, in 1767, and was first called New Salem. It lies 29 miles N. from Concord and 8 N.W. from Gilford. There is in this town a pond adjoining Centre Harbor, about 2 miles long and one wide, emptying into the lake, near the village; besides this there are several smaller ponds. There is probably no town in the country more advantageously situated, or of a better soil, than Meredith. The waters of the Winnepisiogee washing the boundaries of a great part of the town, convey many heavy mercantile articles to and from almost the doors of several of the inhabitants in the summer; and in the winter, the ice serves as a level and easy road. Near the upper or N.W. part of the town, the traveller passing along the road, is presented with a very beautiful landscape. On the E. and S.E. the placid Winnepisiogee, the largest lake in New Hampshire, with its numerous islands, arrests the eye, and bounds the circle of vision in a S.E. direction. On the N.E., Ossipee mountain rises boldly to view. On the N., the prospect is intercepted by Red Hill, a pleasant and noted eminence in Moultonborough, only a few miles distant. At Meredith Bridge is a handsome and flourishing village, and the seat of much business. Here are 2 cotton mills, an extensive tannery, oil mill, &c., in another village are also some important manufactures. The water power of Meredith is immense. It is connected with the principal village of Gilford by a bridge over the Winnepisiogee.
Hon. Ebenezer Smith, moved into this town at an early period of its settlement, and was a father to the new settlers for many years. He died Aug. 22, 1807, aged 73. Population in 1830, 2,683.