Lyme, New Hampshire
Grafton county. This town is 6 miles S. from Orford and 54 N.W. from Concord. The soil here is similar to that of other towns on Connecticut river, with this difference, that there is a less proportion of intervale, and a less difference between that directly adjoining the river and the other parts of the town. There are three small streams passing through Lyme and emptying into Connecticut river. There are two small ponds, the largest of which is called Ports pond. There is a mountain, called Smart's mountain, lying in the N.E. part of the town.—Lyme was granted 1761. The town was settled 1764. Population, in 1830, 1,804.