Lee, New Hampshire
This pond is memorable for the battle which was fought near it in 1690, between a scouting party of Indians, and two companies of rangers under Capts. Floyd and Wiswall. The engagement lasted two hours. Wiswall, his lieutenant, sergeant, and 12 men were killed and several wounded. Floyd continued to fight till his men, wearied and wounded, drew off and obliged him to follow. The enemy also retreated.
Lee is 28 miles E.S.E. from Concord and 12 S.W. from Dover. From the N.E. extremity of Epping, Lamprey river enters Lee, and after a serpentine course of about 7 miles, it passes into Durham. Other parts of the town are watered by Little, North, and Oyster rivers. Lee was originally a part of Durham, and was incorporated, 1766. Population, in 1830, 1,009.