Kingston, New Hampshire
Rockingham county. This town is distant from Concord 37 miles S.E., from Exeter 6, and from Portsmouth 20. There are several ponds in this town. The largest is Great pond, which lies on the W. side of the village, and contains upwards of 300 acres, with an island of 10 or 12 acres, covered with wood. There are no high hills in Kingston; those called Great hill and Rockrimon are the highest. The soil of Kingston is generally loamy. The charter of Kingston was granted, 1694. The grant also comprehended what now forms the towns of East Kingston, Danville, and Sandown. This town suffered, in common with others in the vicinity, from Indian depredations. Many Indian implements, with some ancient French coin, have been ploughed up in the vicinity of the ponds.
Maj. Ebenezer Stevens, one of the early settlers, was a very distinguished and useful citizen.
This town was also the residence of the Hon. Josiah Bartlett, one of the first worthies of the state, and an eminent physician. His public career commenced in 1765, and from that time to his death he was an unwearied advocate and supporter of the liberties of America. He was the first governor of the state under its free constitution. He died in 1795, aged 65. Population, 1830, 929.