Keene, New Hampshire
Chief town of Cheshire county, is one of the most flourishing towns in N.H. It is 80 miles W.N.W. from Boston, 60 S. from Dartmouth college, 43 S.S.E. from Windsor, Vt., 40 W. from Amherst, and 55 W.S.W. from Concord. The soil is of various kinds, and generally good.
Ashuelot river has its source in a pond in Washington, and discharges itself into the Connecticut, at Hinsdale, 20 miles distant from Keene. Keene has been called one of the "prettiest villages" in New England, and president Dwight, in his travels, pronounces it to be one of the pleasantest inland towns he had seen. The principal village is situated on a flat, E. of the Ashuelot, nearly equidistant from that and the upland. It is particularly entitled to notice for the extent, width, and uniform level of its streets. The main street, extending one mile in a straight line, is almost a perfect level, and is well ornamented with trees. The buildings are good and well arranged; some of them are elegant. Keene is a place of considerable business. It has 2 glass houses, a woolen factory, iron foundry, and many other valuable manufacturing establishments. Its first settlement commenced about the year 1734, by Jeremiah Hall and others. Its original name was Upper Ashuelot. It was incorporated with its present name, April 11, 1753, which is derived from Sir Benjamin Keene, British minister at Spain, and contemporary with Gov. B. Wentworth.
Col. Isaac Wyman, an active and influential man, marched the first detachment of men from this town, in the war of the revolution, and was present at the battle of Breed's Hill. Population in 1830, 2,374.