Jefferson, New Hampshire
Coos county. Pondicherry pond, in this town, is about 200 rods in diameter, and is the principal source of John's river. Pondicherry bay is about 200 rods wide and 100 long. Mount Pliny lies in the easterly part of this town, and around its base there is excellent grazing and tillage land. On the S.W. side of this mountain are several fine farms, which command a most delightful view of the White mountains. Israel's river passes through Jefferson from S.E. to N.W., and here receives a considerable branch. The town was first settled about the year 1773. Jefferson is 77 miles N. from Concord and 9 S.E. from Lancaster. Population, 1830, 495.