Hopkinton, New Hampshire
Merrimack county. It is 28 miles N. from Amherst, 7 W. from Concord, 46 N.E. from Keene, 30 S.E. from Newport, 50 W. from Portsmouth, and 65 N.N.W. from Boston. Contoocook river flows from Henniker into the south-westerly part of this town, and meanders in a N.E. direction. In its course it receives Warner and Blackwater rivers, and several large brooks, and empties into Merrimack river at Concord. On these streams are some valuable tracts of intervale and meadow lands. The principal village in Hopkinton is 7 miles from the state-house in Concord. In this town the county jail is located. In the W. part of the town is a thriving village on the Contoocook river, known as Hill's Bridge, or Contoocookville, where is a valuable water power, and several mills. Hopkinton was granted Jan. 16, 1735, to John Jones and others, and was called Number 5, and afterwards New-Hopkinton. The first settlement was made about 1740 by emigrants from Hopkinton, Mass. This town suffered from Indian depredations. Population in 1830, 2,474.