Hinsdale, New Hampshire
Cheshire county. It is 75 miles S.W. by W. from Concord. It is well watered with springs and rivulets of the purest water. The Connecticut washes its western border, and the Ashuelot runs through the centre, forming a junction with the Connecticut, a little below the great bend, called Cooper's point. Kilburn brook rises in Pisgah mountain, runs S. and falls into Ashuelot river. Ash-swamp brook rises in West river mountain, runs a S.W. course, and falls into the Connecticut, near the side of Hinsdale's fort.
There are several islands in the Connecticut in this town. On the N. line of Hinsdale is West river mountain, which extends from the banks of the Connecticut, E. across the whole width of the town. Its greatest elevation is at the W. end. President Dwight states the height above low water mark to be from 800 to 900 feet. In this mountain is found iron ore, and some other minerals and fossils. South of Ashuelot, is Stebbins hill, a tract of excellent land, and principally in a high state of cultivation. The intervales here are extensive, and of an excellent quality. On the point of a hill, not far from Connecticut river, there is to be seen the remains of an Indian fortification, constructed prior to the settlement of the town. There is a deep trench drawn across the hill, to separate it from the plain back, and is continued to the river.
Hinsdale was incorporated in 1753. It was originally a part of Northfield, and was settled as early as 1683. The former name of this place was Fort Dummer and Bridgman's Fort. This town encountered all the difficulties of the Indian wars, and struggled with other hardships incident to frontier settlements begun in the wilderness and remote from cultivated lands. Population, 1830, 937.