Hill, New Hampshire
Grafton county. This town is 24 miles N.N.W. from Concord and 44 S.S.E. from Haverhill. It is watered by Pemigewasset and Smith's rivers, and several small streams. Eagle pond is the only one of note. Ragged mountain is a considerable elevation, and but little inferior to Kearsarge. Viewed from the summit of the neighboring hills, this town appears very uneven, yet there are many fine tracts converted into productive farms. The soil in some parts is rich and fertile—it is generally good. There is at the S.E. section of the town, a flourishing village, situated on a spacious street 1 mile in length.
This town was granted Sept. 14, 1753, to 87 proprietors, who held their first meeting at Chester, and as the greater part of the inhabitants belonged to that place, it was called New Chester, which name it retained until Jan. 1837, when it was changed to the name of Hill, in compliment to the then governor Hill. The first settlement was in 1768.
In Dec. 1820, six children of Mr. William Follansbee were consumed in the flames of his house, while he and his wife were absent. Incorporated, 1778. Population, 1830, 1,090.