Haverhill, New Hampshire
Grafton county, is one of the shire towns. It lies 31 miles N.W. from Plymouth and 70 N.N.W. from Concord. It is watered by Oliverian and Hazen brooks. Haverhill is a pleasant town. The soil is suited to every species of cultivation. There is a quarry of granite suitable for mill stones and buildings, and a bed of iron ore, on the W. side of Coventry, bordering this town.
The principal village is at the S.W. angle of the town, and known by the name of Haverhill Corner. There is a beautiful common in this village, laid out in an oblong square, around which the buildings regularly stand. The site is a handsome elevation, overlooking the adjacent country many miles N. and S. and not less than 6 or 7 miles E. and W. From the street, the ground slopes with unusual elegance to the W., and is succeeded by broad intervales. The prospect here is delightful. There is another village at the N.W. angle of the town, on a street nearly a mile in length, straight and very level.
Haverhill was granted, 1764. Its first settlement was made in 1764 by Capt. John Hazen, who settled on the Little Ox Bow, near where there had formerly been an Indian fort and burying ground, and where many Indian skulls and relics have been found. Several of the early settlers were from Newbury and Haverhill, Mass., and from this last place, this town derived its name. Its former name was Lower Coos.
Hon. Moses Dow was one of the most distinguished citizens of this place.
Hon. Charles Johnson, who died March 5, 1813, aged 76, resided here. He was a valuable officer in the revolution, and was many years judge of probate in Grafton county.
Hon. James Woodward and Hon. Ezekiel Ladd were among the early settlers, and were judges of the old county court. Population, in 1830, 2,153.