Hanover, New Hampshire
Grafton county. The Connecticut river separates it from Norwich, Vermont. It is 53 miles N.W. from Concord and 102 from Portsmouth. In this town there is no river nor any considerable stream besides the Connecticut. Mink brook, running in a S.W. direction, Slate brook in a W. course, and Goose-pond brook in the N.E. part of the town, are among the principal streams. Neither of them is large enough for permanent mill privileges. There are several small islands in Connecticut river within the limits of Hanover, the largest of which is Parker's island, containing about 20 acres. There are no natural ponds. The surface of Hanover is agreeably diversified with hills and valleys, and the greatest part is suitable for farms. There is but a small proportion of waste land; less, perhaps, than in any other town in Grafton county. It is estimated that nearly one half is under improvement. Moose mountain is a considerable elevation, extending across the town from N. to S. at the distance of about five miles from Connecticut river. A handsome bridge connects the S.W. part of the town with Norwich. The principal village is in the S.W. corner of the town, on a beautiful extensive plain, half a mile from Connecticut river, and 180 feet above the level of its waters. Vegetable substances are found in different parts of this plain at a depth of from 50 to 80 feet. The principal houses are erected around a square, level area, of 12 acres. The remainder stand on different streets, leading from the green in all directions.
In this pleasant village is located Dartmouth College.
Among the worthy men who have finished their earthly career in this place, may be mentioned the following:
Rev Eleazar Wheelock, D.D., who died April 24, 1779, aged 69.
Hon. John Wheelock, LL.D., president of the college 35 years, who died April 4, 1817, aged 63.
Hon. Bezaleel Woodward, who died Aug. 1804.
Rev. John Smith, D.D., who died April, 1809.
Hon. John Hubbard, who died in Sept. 1810.
Rev. Francis Brown, D.D., who died July 27, 1820, aged 36. These gentlemen were all connected with the college. Population, 1830, 2,361.