Hampstead, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, lies partly on the height of land between Merrimack and Piscataqua rivers. Most of the waters descend S.W. into the Merrimack through Spiggot river, which flows from Wash pond near the centre of the town. Angly pond is in the N.E. part of the town, the waters of which pass into the Powow river. Island pond, in the S.W. part of the town, contains a valuable farm of 300 acres. The town was granted by Gov. Benning Wentworth, January 19, 1749, and named by him after a pleasant village five miles N. of London, England. He reserved the island before mentioned for his own farm. Population, in 1830, 913.